Creamy chicken pasta bake with broccoli and romanesco
- 10 minutes
- Cooking time
- 45 minutes
- 3 Slices
White sandwich bread, dry and torn
Garlic cloves, minced (divided)
- 2 ¼ Cup
Grated asiago cheese or Aged manchego cheese, (divided)
- ¼ Cup
- To taste
Salt and pepper
- ¾ lb
Shell or Penne pasta
Onion, finely diced
- ½ tsp
Red pepper flakes
- ¼ Cup
- ½ Cup
- 3 Cup
- 2 Cup
- 2 lbs
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced to 1-inch
Broccoli and Romanesco florets, lightly steamed
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and prepare a 9×13 baking dish with a small amount of butter around the sides.
- In a small dish, melt 1 Tbsp. of the butter in the microwave.
- Add the dry bread, 1 minced garlic clove, ¼ Cup Asiago cheese and the melted butter to a blender; pulse to combine. Set aside.
- In a 5 qt. stock pot, bring 2 quarts of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook to al dente.
- Drain the pasta in a colander and set aside.
- Add the remaining butter to the empty stock pot and melt it over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender.
- Add the remaining garlic and red pepper flakes to the diced onion and cook until translucent.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and incorporate. Cook until golden.
- Whisking, add the white wine. Once evaporated, gradually add the milk and broth. Allow the mixture to bubble up between additions.
- Once the sauce is thickened, allow it to come to a gentle boil. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink in the center.
- Remove the sauce from the heat. Add the remaining Asiago and incorporate. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the drained pasta, broccoli and Romanesco to the sauce and incorporate.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle generously with the bread crumb mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden and bubbly at the edges.
- Allow the dish to rest for about 15 minutes before serving.
|Amount per serving||% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 20g|
|Saturated Fat 11g||55 %|
|Cholesterol 100mg||33 %|
|Sodium 1040mg||45 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 38g||14 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7 %|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0 %|
|Vitamin D 1mcg||6 %|
|Calcium 609mg||45 %|
|Iron 2mg||10 %|
|Potassium 467mg||10 %|