What is Condensed Milk?
Condensed milk is dairy milk that has been processed to remove much of the water content. It's common for about 60 percent of the water to be cooked off, creating a thicker, sweeter milk product with a light yellow hue that is often used in baking. Some commercial brands add sugar to the milk. Condensed milk is also called sweetened condensed milk for its rich, mild caramel-like flavor.
Condensed milk is a popular ingredient in old family recipes passed down through the generations for cakes, puddings, pies, ice cream, and sweetbreads, including dulce de leche, a popular Hispanic dessert cake. The milk is also a delicious creamer-like addition to hot tea or coffee!
How to Make Condensed Milk
Ready to make your own concentrated milk for a baking project? It's quite simple and lovely to have on hand in the refrigerator (it lasts for one week), especially when tackling several homemade treats for a special occasion or if you like sweetening your beverages.
To make 1 1/4 cups of condensed milk, the equivalent of one small standard can, you'll need:
2 Cups a2 Milk® Whole
3/4 Cups sweetener (Choose one: honey, sugar, agave or maple syrup)
4 Tbsp. salted butter
1 tsp. Vanilla or almond extract
1. In a saucepan, whisk together the a2 Milk® Whole and sweetener.
2. Set the stovetop heat to medium-low and allow the mixture to come to a simmer. Stir occasionally.
3. Allow the liquid to reduce by half, creating a thick sauce-like consistency. This will take 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Once reduced, remove the condensed milk from the heat. Allow it to cool for one minute, then stir in the butter and extract.
5. Store the condensed milk in a sealed container, such as a glass jar with a lid.
When you're ready to start baking, follow the recipe as written using your homemade condensed milk made from a2 Milk® Whole.
As you finish your shopping, grab an extra carton of a2 Milk®. You can use it to not only make condensed milk, but also homemade butter, ice cream and salad dressing. Feeling inspired? Browse the Recipe Blog for meal and beverage ideas!